The Duke of Edinburgh Award is available to our Year 10 students. Practice expeditions usually take place in April and May with the final expeditions taking place in June and July.
Duke of Edinburgh 2017-18
In January students start their training sessions for the two day practice expedition for their Duke of Edinburgh Award.
This year's practice expeditions will take place on the weekends of 21st and 22nd April and 5th and 6th May.
Students will meet at Dowdales School at 9am on the first day of their expedition. They will walk 16 miles over two days, from Water Yeat to Skelwith Bridge. They will pitch their tents in Coniston Hall Campsite before making their own dinner. After breakfast the group will set off on the second day of their walk and will return to Dowdales at approximately 5pm. During the expedition, students will be supervised at all times by experienced and qualified staff.
Rucksacks, tents and stoves will be provided. Below is a full kit list:
- Personal first aid kit (plasters, sun cream, paracetamol etc.)
- Personal medication (if any)
- Bowl, fork, spoon, mug
- Torch and spare batteries
- Fleece top
- Tracksuit bottoms or walking trousers
- Full change of clothes in a waterproof bag
- Lightweight sleeping bag (3 season) in a stuff sack and wrapped in a bin bag
- Carry mat or inflatable sleeping mat
- Pyjamas (no onesies please)
- Spare walking socks
- Bin bag for wet gear
- Wash kit and small towel
- Small container of washing up liquid and scouring sponge
- 2 packed lunches and drinks
- Water bottle
- 1 dinner (dried pasta/pot noodles/rice/supernoodles etc.)
- 1 breakfast (instant porridge/cereal bars)
- Hat, gloves
- Hiking boots which provide good ankle support (no walking shoes or trainers)
- Waterproof jacket and over trousers